Business Services FAQ
SELACO WDB No Cost Business Services
Are you looking in the right place for your employees? Don’t have the money or time for professional recruitment services or classified ads? Let us help you with your workforce needs at no charge to you!
What is SELACO WDB?
The Southeast Los Angeles Workforce Development Board (SELACO WDB) is a private, non-profit organization serving the needs of employers throughout the Southeast Los Angeles County area. Our goal is to provide employers with successful recruitment and staffing services.
Can I call you if I have one or several job openings to recruit for? What does it cost for these services?
SELACO WDB provides services at no charge to any businesses for any size recruitment;
We offer a full array of recruitment and staffing services including:
- Job postings and professional resumé screening to meet your minimum qualifications
- Customized employee recruitments tailored to meet current company needs
- Interview facilities on site
You choose the qualified applicants that meet your needs;
We can pre-qualify applicants by administering basic skills testing;
We conduct employment history verification.
Where do you get your candidates? Are your candidates trained and qualified?
Our candidates are referred to us from previous/current customers, local employers, training institutions, public service agencies, and the State Employment Development Department.
Our candidates come from all backgrounds with a large variety of work experience. Some have recently completed certified/specialized training courses; others are recently unemployed, have a high skill level, and are ready for immediate employment; we also have unemployed adults and youth with limited work history but have a strong commitment to begin the initial steps of establishing a long term career and successful employment.
Can you organize interns to work with my business?
- SELACO WDB partners with businesses on upgrading the skills of workers by providing short-term work assignments, job shadowing, or internships;
- SELACO WDB introduces unskilled and inexperienced job seekers to the world of work through paid work experience and training;
- Work experience opportunities are provided by SELACO WDB through available grant funding.
What if the skills required for the positions in my company are unique?
To help employers get the skilled workers they need staff conducts an employer interview to assess the skills, qualifications, and experience they are seeking when considering a potential employee. As part of the SELACO WDB recruitment process potential candidates are pre-screened to ensure employer hiring requirements can be met.
For those who are strong candidates for employment, but lack a needed skill, funding may be provided to employers to train on the job. SELACO WIB On-the-Job Training program is designed to assist employers offset the costs of training new employees who may have some of the skills required to do the job, but not all of them.
- Businesses may be eligible to receive reimbursements on a portion of the trainee’s wages when they agree to train and hire eligible workers;
- The complexity of the job and the skills of the worker(s) determine the length of the training period.
Additionally, training may be designed to meet specific needs of a business or group of businesses that agree to hire and retain a worker upon successful completion of training. This program is called Customized Training.
- For customized training, businesses are required to cover 50% of the cost of training;
- Training may include occupational skill training as well as training in computer and workplace literacy.
My company is not hiring, in fact we are in lay-off mode. Can you help my employees find work?
SELACO WDB has staff that specializes in helping businesses successfully manage a layoff or plant closure by working with management and labor to arrange appropriate services for employees. The program is called Rapid Response.
Rapid Response provides early intervention seminars to inform affected employees on how to access valuable services. Services include:
- Re-employment services
- Resume, transferrable skills and interview workshops
- Benefit planning
- Services are confidential
- Services are offered at no charge to employer or employees