The SELACO WIB’s Youth Services, in compliance with the Workforce Investment Act (WIA), strongly emphasize enhanced youth development in all areas of education and employment by promoting long term intervention strategies, leadership development, mentoring by caring adults, and comprehensive follow up services.
The services offered provide youth with the necessary skills and the opportunity to realize their full potential and to successfully transition into adulthood, employment, and further education and training.
SELACO WIB’S youth programs operate year round and serves youth ages 14 to 21. Our service delivery system enables youth to access the ten core elements required by WIA:
• Tutoring, study skill training, and instruction leading to secondary school completion
• including drop-out prevention strategies
• Alternative secondary school offerings
• Summer employment opportunities directly linked to academic and occupational learning
• Career counseling and guidance
• Paid and unpaid work experience
• Occupational skill training
• Leadership development opportunities
• Supportive services
• Adult mentoring
• Follow-up services
The primary mission of SELACO WIB’s youth program is to provide all youth with access to opportunities to gain the social, emotional, academic, and workforce skills required to become self sufficient. The SELACO WIB serves as the lead agency for youth services in this region. It subcontracts with youth service providers to ensure that the needs of both “in-school” and “out of school” youth are addressed and met. Services rendered to in-school youth are contracted with local partners like school districts that operate within SELACO WIB’s primary service area: Artesia, Bellflower, Cerritos, Downey, Hawaiian Gardens, Lakewood, and Norwalk.